Picture this: you’re tired. You don’t have any groceries. You don’t feel like cooking. The other people/animals in your house want to know what’s for dinner. You want to reach for the frozen pizza…
But wait! Beside the frozen pizza, there’s a stack of homemade Chicken, Broccoli, and Cheddar Burritos in your freezer!!
Trey and I absolutely love these burritos, or as Trey likes to call them, “freezeritos”. They’re so easy and healthy, and in situations like I described above, they can sometimes feel like lifesavers. (That’s probably a dramatic and excessive statement, but when everyone in the house is hangry, situations can get intense!)
It feels so great to have your freezer stocked with some homemade food. All you have to do is brown up some chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and then chop into bite-sized pieces. Cook up some brown rice. Steam some broccoli florets. Add a couple of handfuls of spinach and freshly grated cheddar cheese. The filling is done! Wrap it up in some whole wheat flour tortillas, and then grill on both sides to crisp it up if you’re eating right away.
For the rest of the burritos, wrap them in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil, then stick in the freezer! Your future self will thank you.
Chicken, Broccoli, and Cheddar Burritos
|Cook:||Yield: about 12 small burritos||Total:|
Quick and healthy burritos stuffed with juicy chicken, broccoli, spinach, brown rice, and cheddar cheese. Make more than you need - they freeze wonderfully!
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- about 2 handfuls of spinach
- about 12 whole wheat tortillas (I used Handmade Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas from Trader Joe's!)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook your rice according to package directions.
- Steam the broccoli florets until tender-crisp.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add some olive oil to a pan and cook on both sides, turning once, until golden brown and cooked through. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine the cooked rice, chicken, and broccoli in a bowl. Add the spinach and freshly grated cheddar cheese and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If the tortillas are stiff, wrap them in a paper towel and microwave them for a few seconds.
- Add some of the chicken mixture to the lower third of the tortilla. Fold in the sides, then roll it up tightly to make a burrito.
- Heat a skillet or a griddle over medium heat. Spray the burritos with some cooking spray, then place the them seam-side down to cook. When that side is golden brown, flip and crisp up the other side. Cut in half and serve!
- If you're freezing them for later, roll the burritos in some plastic wrap first, then aluminum foil. When you're ready to eat one, just microwave it until the center is no longer frozen, then crisp it up in a pan like the directions above!
Freezeritos to the rescue!