This week has been hard for a lot of people I know for a couple of different reasons. Maybe these colorful pizzas can help brighten up the week a tiny bit!
We’re making pizzas using pita bread to make this an easy, weeknight-friendly dinner. We’re using salsa instead of pizza sauce. (I love the Frontera brand!) Then, we’re going to top them with sautéed onions, peppers, and spicy chicken that we seasoned with our own fajita seasoning from spices already in our cabinets, which will all be blanketed in pepper jack cheese. YUM.
If you make the chicken, peppers, and onions beforehand, this is such a fast dish and barely requires any effort. It’s the kind of meal you can make when you have the energy level of one notch above frozen pizza because all you have to do is assemble the pizzas and wait for the oven to preheat. Then it only takes about 10 minutes in the oven! Even if the chicken and veggies aren’t prepped, it still comes together pretty quickly.
We topped ours with fresh cilantro, a spritz of fresh lime juice, hot sauce (Cholula, of course), and Greek yogurt. (Sour cream would obviously be even better, but I was trying to keep this a little lighter!)
This is the little pizza that “can” for the weeks when you “can’t”.
Chicken Fajita Pita Pizza
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 4 personal-sized pizzas||Total:|
This fast and healthy dinner uses pita breads instead of pizza dough and salsa instead of pizza sauce. The pizzas are topped with sautéed onions, peppers, spicy chicken, and pepper jack cheese!
- For the pizzas:
- 4 pocket-less whole wheat pitas
- a few spoonfuls of your favorite salsa
- Olive oil
- 2 bell peppers of any color, sliced (I used 1/2 green, 1/2 yellow, 1/2 red, and 1/2 orange)
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 to 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 oz. pepper jack cheese, freshly grated
- 2 large chicken breasts or 4 chicken tenders
- fajita seasoning
- Optional toppings: fresh cilantro, hot sauce, lime wedges, and Greek yogurt or sour cream
- For the fajita seasoning:
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Sautée the onions and peppers in a pan over medium heat with a little bit of olive oil until tender-crisp. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two longer. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Mix together all of the spices for the fajita seasoning in a small bowl.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Season it on both sides with the fajita seasoning.
- Add some more olive oil to the pan over medium heat. Cook the chicken until cooked through and browned on both sides, flipping once. Remove from the pan and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the pitas on the baking sheet and spread a couple spoonfuls of your favorite salsa on top.
- Divide the onions, peppers, and chicken between the four pizzas. Top with equal amounts of freshly grated cheese.
- Bake the pizzas in the oven for about 10 minutes. Turn the broiler on high and broil the top for a minute, until golden and bubbly.
- Serve with lime wedges on the side and top with fresh cilantro, hot sauce, and Greek yogurt or sour cream, if you're into all of that.
If you make the onions, peppers, and chicken ahead, this is an even quicker and easier weeknight meal!
You’re not getting that out of a frozen pizza box!