In order to share some other things that our family is loving lately besides just food, I’ve decided to start this new little feature of monthly thoughts that I’ll post on the first Saturday of every month. Let me know what you think!
1. I seriously can’t believe this month will be one year since we brought home our furry bundle of joy. The picture above is one of the first pictures we ever took of Emmy Lou! GAHHH my heart feels like it will explode from joy looking at this cuteness!! She was SUCH A handful at this age, though. Who knew something so tiny and sweet could wreak so much havoc? I think she’s still just as irresistibly cute, and now that she’s over 80 pounds she makes the best snuggling buddy in the world. There’s just more of her to love this year! (Plus, now she’s completely potty trained, sleeps in past 6:00 AM on weekends, doesn’t try to chew on absolutely everything, and understands the word “no” at least half of the time.)
2. To start 2017 off on the right foot, I’d like to encourage you to do something this month to make the rest of the year easier on yourself. For example, I like to write out my car payments for the rest of the year and put them in envelopes labeled by each month. That way, all I have to do is put the envelope in the mail every month and it’s one less thing to worry about. Or maybe you want to finally tackle a project around the house that has been bothering you, or clean out a closet or junk drawer. (I accidentally just wrote drunk drawer.)
3. The Day Designer has been one of my most useful Christmas gifts for the past two years. This is my favorite planner that I’ve ever owned for goal setting and organization. Plus, it’s sooo pretty. (I have the Flagship Edition: Black Stripe!) I don’t think I could ever switch to using my phone for a calendar – I love actually writing things down, physically crossing things off, and highlighting to color code. (<-Nerd)
4. I cannot get enough of the slow cooker at this time of year! Last night we had this Spicy Chorizo and Collard Green Slow Cooker Soup and it was super simple and SO GOOD! (Like, simple enough that I actually had time to throw it together in the morning before work.) Next, we want to try this Slow Cooker Vegan Enchilada Quinoa Chili. I should also make my Slow Cooker Greek Stuffed Peppers with Tzatziki again soon! What are your favorite slow cooker recipes?? Please share!
5. Another thing on my mind in January (and all the time) is reading! For the Goodreads 2017 Reading Challenge, I set a goal to read 55 books. (That was also my goal for 2016, but I only made it to 46.) Any good book recommendations? I love a little of everything, but my favorite books are psychological thrillers. Some of my favorite books that I read in 2016 are Me Before You (I didn’t see the movie, though!), Behind Closed Doors, The Kind Worth Killing, Dangerous Girls, and The Nightengale.
6. In the Best of 2016 post this week, I mentioned that I wanted to be more mindful in 2017. I’m kicking that off by participating in the Month of Yoga by Sarah Beth Yoga! Every time I do yoga, I wonder why I don’t do it more often. I’m hoping participating in this 30 day challenge helps me make yoga more of a priority. (My coworker referred me to Sarah Beth, and I love her videos!)
7. I also mentioned the mindfulness workshop that I attended recently in my post this week. At the workshop, we watched this video, “This is Water”, which was a commencement address given by David Foster Wallace illustrated by a video. I highly recommend it if you have the time to watch it. It really makes you think about not living life by default, living compassionately, and being aware of the world around you. All good things to contemplate as we reset for the new year!
Have a wonderful January!
A few of the links above are Amazon Affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my site!