Can you find me in this picture?
I didn’t notice I was in the reflection of the spoon until I was editing these pictures. I’m wearing my favorite look! Old, comfy sweatpants and a big t-shirt. Perfect for eating lotsss of breakfast quinoa.
Let’s look at these beautiful berries instead!
Have you ever had quinoa for breakfast? Have you ever roasted fruit before? If your answer is “no” to either of these questions, I would definitely recommend doing both of these things ASAP!
The first time I had quinoa for breakfast was a couple of years ago after making this recipe by one of my favorite food bloggers, How Sweet Eats, and I’ve loved it ever since! Quinoa is super healthy and makes a great alternative to oatmeal. It’s gluten-free, really high in protein, and actually keeps you full until lunch. This quinoa is steeped in coconut milk, cinnamon, and vanilla. The roasting process intensifies the flavor of fruit and creates a delicious, caramelized, warm topping for the quinoa. I also threw on some toasted sliced almonds, toasted coconut, chia seeds, ground flaxseed, fresh mint, a small drizzle of honey, and a little extra coconut milk!
This is one of those breakfasts that you can make a big batch of on Sunday, then portion it out to have quick and easy breakfasts all week! This is ESSENTIAL for me because I have the worst time waking up and getting out the door in the mornings. I have to admit, waking up at least has gotten a little easier with Emmy. (Getting out the door has not.)
We only have a full-sized bed, and the Queen Bee (Emmy) gets most of the room. When we wake up in the mornings, she wags her whole body (she can’t contain her joy to her tail) and gives us a million kisses as if she hasn’t seen us in years (even though she was cuddled up next to us all night)! Her happy attitude definitely makes the alarm going off less painful. So does this breakfast!
Ahh, good food and puppies. Those two things sure do make life easier!
Roasted Berry Breakfast Quinoa
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 2 to 4 servings||Total:|
This easy, superfood breakfast is cooked in coconut milk, cinnamon, and vanilla and topped with warm, caramelized berries. Um... yum!
- 1/2 c. quinoa, rinsed
- 1 c. coconut milk (feel free to adapt the amount of liquid based on the cooking directions for your quinoa!)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen!)
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- coconut oil cooking spray
- a couple pinches of salt
- optional toppings: chia seeds, toasted sliced almonds, toasted unsweetened coconut, ground flaxseed, fresh mint, honey, and/or more coconut milk for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Arrange the sliced strawberries and blueberries on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle the berries with a pinch of salt and a couple spritzes of coconut oil cooking spray.
- Roast for about 20 minutes, or until caramelized.
- Meanwhile, rinse the quinoa well. Combine it with the coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and another pinch of salt in a small saucepan and cook according to your package directions.
- To serve, scoop the quinoa in a bowl, slide some roasted berries on top, and add whatever other toppings you desire!
Recipe adapted from How Sweet Eats
There I am again! Oops.