If I’m craving something quick, healthy, and delicious, I always turn to the beloved avocado toast. This version with sesame and kale sure is a tasty way to kick avocado toast up a notch! This super easy snack or breakfast has not one, not two, but THREE superfoods (avocado, kale, and chia seeds!) and a smattering of other nutritious ingredients.
This beauty might even convert some kale haters! The trick is to slice the kale really thinly. I like to stack a bunch of leaves on top of one another, roll them up, and then slice. Then, you massage it with some lime juice, toasted sesame oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper until it reduces in volume and gets tender and amazing. This is delicious all on its own. If you don’t have toasted sesame oil… you should get some. Extra virgin olive oil would also work in a pinch!
Once your favorite bread is toasted, add your avocado, top it with the marinated kale, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, sesame seeds, and chia seeds. Does it need an extra squeeze of lime? Do it!
Only way to make it better: put an egg on it. YUM.
Sesame Kale Avocado Toast
|Prep:||Yield: serves 1 to 2||Total:|
This superfood breakfast or snack is super easy and nutritious. Avocado toast topped with kale marinated in lime juice and toasted sesame oil, then garnished with chia and sesame seeds!
- about 1 cup thinly shredded kale, stems removed
- about 1/2 lime
- about 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 slices of your favorite bread
- 1 ripe avocado
- sesame seeds, toasted, for sprinkling
- chia seeds, for sprinkling
- 2 eggs, cooked to your liking (optional, if not vegan)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, add the shredded kale. Season with lime juice, toasted sesame oil, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Massage the kale until it becomes wilted. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Toast your bread.
- Either mash or slice half of the avocado on each slice of bread.
- Top the avocado with the kale.
- If desired, add a cooked egg on top of the kale. (I poached mine!)
- Sprinkle with chia seeds and sesame seeds, as well as an additional squeeze of lime juice and/or a sprinkle of salt and pepper if you would like.
P.S. If you missed it, I started a new feature that I will post on the first Saturday of each month where I will talk about more than just food. These posts will be under the new “Life” section of the blog. You can find January’s Thoughts here. I’m hoping some of the things I talk about will put a smile on your face, make life a little easier, and/or help us get to know each other better!
If you haven’t already, you can sign up for my email list so you never miss a post using the “subscribe” button above on the right-hand side of the screen.
Thank you for being here!!