These Slow Cooker Italian Pulled Chicken Sandwiches with Pesto are sooo simple. The chicken will cook all day long and dinner will be done when you get home! Isn’t that wonderful? Thank goodness for slow cookers. I know it’s only Tuesday, but I’m already tired this week.
Slow cookers mean you have more time to play tug of war, run around the yard, stare out the window to watch cars drive by, and cuddle on the couch with chew toys. At least, that’s what Emmy and I have more time to do!
We’ll slice the sandwich buns in half, slather the bottom with pesto, and sprinkle the top with mozzarella. Then we’ll heat them under the broiler on a baking sheet until they’re toasted and the cheese is melty. That’s probably the most work you have to do for this recipe! Feel free to use store-bought pesto (I did), but if you have the time, homemade pesto is extra delicious!
In between that pesto cheesy goodness, we will put shredded chicken that we’ve thrown into a slow cooker with peppers, onions, garlic, fire roasted tomatoes, a little wine, and some spices. Oh, and some more cheese.
One sandwich for you, one for me!
I guess Tuesdays aren’t so bad.
Slow Cooker Italian Pulled Chicken Sandwiches with Pesto
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 6||Total:|
These simple chicken sandwiches cook all day long in the slow cooker and are finished with cheese and pesto!
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced (any color)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- about 1/4 cup of dry red or white wine
- 1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 8 oz. freshly grated mozzarella or fresh mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- a handful of fresh basil and/or fresh parsley, torn or chopped
- pesto, for spreading (homemade or store-bought)
- 6 whole wheat sandwich buns
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the chicken, onion, peppers, garlic, tomatoes, wine, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper in a slow cooker. Cook on high heat for about 4 hours, or low heat for about 8 hours.
- Shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces with two forks. (This can be done when the chicken is done cooking, or when there is about an hour left of cooking time.)
- Stir in the fresh herbs and Parmesan cheese once the chicken is done cooking.
- Sprinkle about 4 oz. of the cheese on top of the chicken. Remove the chicken from heat and cover with the lid, or just keep it on the "warm" setting to melt the cheese while you toast the buns.
- Split the sandwich buns in half and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. On the bottom half of the sandwich, spread a layer of pesto. On the top half, add some cheese. Toast the buns under your broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Sandwich the shredded chicken in between the cheesy pesto sandwich buns. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Bev Cooks
“So… are you done taking pictures? Are you gonna eat those sandwiches? If you open up this screen door, I’d be happy to help taste test.”