Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
In the spirit of the holiday, I’m bringing you my family’s absolute favorite green smoothies today!
I think it’s a sign that your twenties are coming to an end when you have a green smoothie on St. Patrick’s Day instead of green beer…
These Tropical Green Smoothies are filled with so many nutritious and yummy ingredients: 100% orange juice, frozen mango chunks, navel oranges, pineapples, bananas, kiwis, avocados, cashews, hemp hearts, wheat germ, ground flaxseed, almond milk, coconut oil, Greek yogurt, and kale. If you don’t have kale on hand, any other green will work!
These are so bright and AMAZING. I have either this smoothie or one of these Ultimate Berry Smoothies almost every single day for breakfast, and I never get sick of them.
(If you missed this recipe, I also adore these Chocolate and Peanut Butter Smoothies as a special breakfast treat!)
Now that I think about it, I’ve never actually had green beer. I’d better balance all of this health out with an Irish coffee this weekend!
Don’t forget to let your pup lick the Greek yogurt spoon! (Emmy would never let us forget that.)
Tropical Green Smoothies
|Prep:||Yield: makes 4 smaller smoothies or 2 larger smoothies||Total:|
These are my family's absolute favorite green smoothies!
- 8 oz. 100% orange juice (we use Simply Orange high pulp)
- about 1 cup of fresh pineapple (or 1/2 of a 20 oz. can of 100% pineapple in its own juice)
- 1 kiwi, sliced
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 navel orange, peeled
- about 1/2 cup of frozen mango chunks
- 1/2 avocado, sliced (optional)
- about 2 Tbsp. wheat germ
- about 1 Tbsp. hemp hearts
- about 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- about 1/2 cup raw cashews (a big handful)
- about 1/2 cup almond milk or coconut water
- about 1 tsp. coconut oil
- about 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- about 1 cup fresh kale, or any other greens you have on hand
- about 2 cups of ice, depending on how thick and icy you like smoothies
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and serve immediately!
Eyeball the amounts of each ingredient until you reach the taste and consistency you want.
These smoothies can also be frozen in freezer-safe glasses covered with plastic wrap. I like to pull a frozen smoothie out of the freezer the afternoon before the day I want to have it to let it thaw in the refrigerator.
Aaaaand this is what it looks like if you accidentally knock your green smoothie over while you’re taking pictures of it. Oops.