This summer, Trey and I ate BLTs or BLATs (BLTs with avocado) at least once a week for dinner. I LOVE tomatoes when they’re in season, and I can even eat just plain tomato and mayonnaise sandwiches. (Does anyone else like that? Is that weird? Of course Trey doesn’t like that.)
Trey told me recently that he was hungry for BLATs, so I knew I had to come up with a winter version. I figured adding a cozy blanket of melted fresh mozzarella cheese would make up for the lack of in-season tomatoes. Instead of regular tomatoes, I decided to use oil packed sun-dried tomatoes. I also swapped spinach for regular lettuce. So maybe these are BSASDTs? Or… BSAMSDTs? Whatever they are, they’re delicious!
While these aren’t quite as quick to throw together as regular BLTs, they’re still a fast and easy weeknight sandwich. All you have to do is start with your favorite bread, then layer on some fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced avocado, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, bacon, and spinach.
Oh yeah, and more fresh mozzarella on top! You can never have enough cheese. It’s the glue that holds life together.
One important trick to making grilled cheese: instead of melting the butter in the skillet first, just spread the butter on the outsides of the bread. This prevents one side from getting soggy from too much butter and the other side from not having enough butter!
Another special touch that I like to do with grilled cheese is sprinkle some garlic salt on the outsides of the buttered bread. My aunt taught me that a couple of years ago when we were making grilled ham and cheese sandwiches, and it definitely adds great flavor.
I had Trey and my stepbrother, who was visiting from Florida, taste test this sandwich with me last week, and they both gave it a big thumbs up!
YUM. I can just see you dipping that in some creamy homemade tomato soup.
(Why didn’t I think of that? You always have the best ideas.)
Winter BLAT Grilled Cheese
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 2||Total:|
This winter version of a BLAT is stuffed with crispy bacon, spinach, creamy avocado, sun-dried tomatoes, and gooey fresh mozzarella cheese!
- 4 slices of bacon
- 4 slices of whole grain bread
- about 6 oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained of excess oil and chopped
- 1 8 oz. ball of fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- a couple handfuls of fresh spinach
- about 2 Tbsp. butter
- garlic salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the bacon until crisp. (You can bake the bacon in the oven, fry it in a skillet, or cook it in the microwave!)
- Heat a skillet over medium low heat. Spread a little butter on the outsides of four slices of bread, and put two of the slices butter side down in the skillet.
- Layer a few slices of fresh mozzarella on the bread, then the sun-dried tomatoes, avocado, bacon, and spinach. (I like to season the avocado with a touch of freshly cracked black pepper.) Top with a few more slices of fresh mozzarella.
- Lay the other two pieces of bread butter side up on top of the sandwich. Sprinkle with a little bit of garlic salt.
- Cover the pan with a lid or some aluminum foil and cook until golden brown, then flip with a spatula. Gently press down to help the sandwich stick together. Cover again and cook until the other side is golden brown and the cheese is melty.
I love those crispy edges of cheese!!